Saturday 4 April 2015

Slatkin / St Louis Symphony - Gershwin: American Rhapsody


Another in the series of releases from Vox, this time featuring conductor Leonard Slatkin leading the St Louis Symphony, America's second oldest orchestra, playing the works of modern composer George Gershwin.

The SACD release featured the original quadraphonic mix with a silent centre channel as required by the SACD format and a silent (as far as I could tell) LFE channel that I deleted from my conversion. Most of the orchestra is heard from the front speakers with ambience in the rears, although there is a variation to this in the final track Cuban Overture.

In other cases where the SACD release has included bonus tracks, I have limited my conversion to the original LP contents, either because the bonus tracks could be found on another SACD or because there was no direct connection to the main content of the disc. On this occasion I have included the bonus tracks in the conversion.

Source: SACD

Converted to: DVD-A MLP 24/88.2, DVD-V DTS 24/48 & Dolby Digital 24/48